Interview: Adrienne Corral, costume craftsperson

For the next installment of my series of mask maker profiles/interviews, I'm talking with UNC-Chapel Hill costume production MFA alumna Adrienne Corral, currently of St. Petersburg, FL. Adrienne is a former student of mine and has since gone on a staff position with Florida's Feld Entertainment. Here's our exchange:


Explain your profession in non-pandemic times.


I'm a Costume Craftsperson. Previous [to the pandemic] I was refurbishing, maintaining and reconstructing costume pieces for Disney on Ice and other Feld shows. Mostly for me it meant dyeing new yardage to match an in-use piece or repainting latex masks and prosthetic pieces. 
What spurred you to start sewing masks? 
Upon hearing I had been laid off, a family member contacted me who wanted to commission 90 masks for his employees. I do well under tight deadlines, so I threw myself in. 
Are you affiliated with one of the larger initiatives like Masks4All, Mask Crusaders, etc., or if not, for whom do you make your PPE? 
I am not, and feel a bit guilty about this. I'm not in a position to be as generous with my time and supplies as I'd like. These commissions mean we can make ends meet. 
Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for taking paid mask work. You have a skill and there's a powerful need. For those in a position to donate their time, that's a generous thing to do, but the fact is, our industry disappeared and we all still have bills to pay and families to feed. Good luck with everything and stay safe.
Adrienne's portfolio website (not recently updated) can be found here

Found this rendering of Adrienne's classical plate tutu project in my files!

Comments

Popular Posts