Interview: Bettina Hastie, film costumer

The subject of today's interview is a former colleague! Many moons ago, Bettina and I worked together making costumes at the American Repertory Theatre in Cambridge, MA. Back then, she was a first hand and I ran the craft shop. I'm so pleased to be able to share her responses to my questions!

What is your name, location, and profession in non-pandemic times? 

Hi. My name is Bettina and I live in Easton, MA. I am an IATSE 481 Costume Maker & Costumer for Film. 


What sorts of projects would you be working on, were we living in normal times?
 
I would be working on a Jennifer Lawrence film right now, if it wasn't for COVID-19. 


What spurred you to start sewing masks?

I was home, contemplating doing light house renovations during my "down time", when I received a PM attachment from a friend, stating that there was a need for PPE & homemade masks. I thought: I sew for a living, I could do this. 

 I did some research online to see what materials were recommended & what patterns were available. I ordered my nonwoven filter fabric & 1/4" elastic from WAWAK, and I received it all in 3 days. For the next week I was supplying people with fabric, elastics & interfacing in my town who were joining the cause, as well as making masks myself. 


Are you affiliated with one of the larger initiatives like Masks4All, Mask Crusaders, etc., or if not, for whom do you make your PPE?  

So far, I have supplied 150 masks to Sturdy Hospital, 25 masks to St. Vincent's Hospital in Worcester (MA), 20 masks to Visiting Nurses & another 100 to various nurses, caregivers, essential businesses, family & others in the community looking for them....all at no charge. 

My training is in theater, originally. In theater you learn that ALL of the different departments (Sets, Costumes, Props, Lights, etc.) need to work together to make the show happen. We need to do what we can to support the whole. That is what I bring to this. It is what I want my 15 year old son to see, that we lead by example & help people. He doesn't feel comfortable helping me sew, but he's great at cutting the fabric & elastic. 

I have worked with my Union to supply masks, I have worked with my knitting group to supply masks &  I've been supporting other women that I don't know in my town, who are making masks by making supplies available to them. 

As to donations to me for this cause? If you can sew? MAKE PPE for our First Responders. If you can't sew, find those in YOUR Community & see what they need ($, supplies, distribution, etc.) I didn't want to just sit on my couch watching TV when I knew that I could be helpful to others in this time of fear & confusion. 

Thank you for taking the time to ask me these questions. 


And thank you for taking the time to answer them! It's great to be able to provide a space for mask makers' voices to be heard.

My great-grandmother's white irises are as tall as I am!
 

Comments

Popular Posts