La Bricoleuse Community Guidelines

 

Riley has no patience for shenanigans.

My YouTube channel has surpassed 1000 subscribers--the first of two benchmarks on the path to monetization--and I've also acquired the Community tab over there (which used to come at 1000 subscribers but they dropped it back to 500 shortly after I hit 1000--figures).

 While I don't imagine that the channel will ever see the kind of astronomical growth and success of YouTube stars who make a living as channelrunners, I do feel it's important to acknowledge that La Bricoleuse is definitely a brand and that, even though an educational/tutorial channel creates less of a sense of community and parasocial attachment among its subscribers than personality-driven channels, I still want to make my position clear on some issues.

"La Bricoleuse" as a source of information on costume craftwork and related topics has been a presence online going back to LiveJournal in 2006, yet I'm a bit flummoxed to consider that I've never articulated community guidelines on any of its prior platforms. So, it's beyond time for me to do so, particularly in light of the bigotry and bullying swirling around in the segment of YouTube known as CosTube, the loose collection of channels focusing on costuming, sewing, historical fashion, reenactment/interpretation, etc.

Let me give credit where credit is due: these guidelines are inspired by Bianca Hernandez of the YouTube channel Bookhoarding by Bianca, who made an amazing inspiring video about the responsibilities of a content creator whose channel achieves a certain threshold of growth. So here are the rules, subject to change/evolution.

Rule #1: No hate speech & no bullying.

If you use hate speech or bully others, you are not here to learn or help others learn, and you are not supporting a more equitable costuming/crafting/sewing/ space. This includes: 

  • No racism--this is an openly anti-racist space and is not a place for white supremacists. 
  • No homophobia or transphobia--we will support discussions around LGBTQIA+ communities. 
  • Ableism and fatphobia will not be tolerated here. 
  • Discrimination based on religious affiliation or spiritual affinity, ethnicity, national origin, economic background, regional identification, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, OR ANYTHING ELSE will not be ok. 
  • No death threats.

Rule #2: Stay on topic.

If you post in my comments or community tab with an ad or something absurdly off-topic, I will bounce you like a belligerent drunk. I will always make space for people to promote their work, but this is not negotiable: don’t spam my comments.

Rule #3: Science is real.

I got vaccinated and boostered, I wear a mask. I have made literally thousands of them and interviewed dozens of furloughed arts workers/maskmakers in this very blog. When or if we talk about the pandemic, we use facts and science.

Rule #4: These guidelines are open to changing, just as people should be open to changing.

If you see something that gives you the icks, or you worry that these guidelines left out something, let me know. I consider this space a community, and I want to make sure it feels ok for you, but we shouldn’t wait for an incident to happen to protect folx.

Report this ad

(Version 1.0, published November 2021)

Comments

Popular Posts