Book Review: Toward a Future Theatre by Caridad Svich


 


Toward a Future Theatre: Conversations During a Pandemic by Caridad Svich is an invaluable documentation of the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and its effects on theatre-makers across the US and UK. The book features excellent representation of different voices across various cutural and social demographics, as well as a range of theatre leaders--artistic directors, playwrights, cultural eventsmakers, directors, performers, and dramaturgs. I loved hearing how they all were coping with the pandemic's effect on the field in those early days.

I missed the voices of designers and production folx in the mix, but I think those would broaden the focus too much for the aims of this collection and would perhaps be another interesting compendium of interviews to assemble, perhaps in a sequel volume.

Highly recommend this title, my copy is full of highlights now and I brought it into my theatre's greenroom to share with my fellow company members as we move toward what our version of that future theatre is.

Comments

Popular Posts